Sunday, August 10, 2008

M3341, No. 2

.


Here is the finished skirt I mentioned in the last post.
It's the same pattern and view ("C") I used for the black&white houndstooth skirt I posted on in June.

It's a peachy/orange stretch cotton that is VERY comfortable, the A-line skirt is better at work than a straight skirt - much easier to access bottom drawers of filing cabinets !

In June I made a size 16 which is pretty loose fitting. This time I made a 14 and it fits alot better. I'm very happy with it but see the wrinkles in the back now - I guess they are in the first skirt as well, but we didn't take pictures of that one on me. Since I've replaced the broken zipper maybe it's time for a pic.

Anyway, I've been paying close attention to the adjustments on the coat sewalong and in the blogs I read and, unless someone tells me otherwise, will pinch out that bit of extra fabric in a fish-eye dart on my pattern. Hmm, this is the fix I see people do on their muslins, since I'm working on my actual pattern pieces, could I just lower the CB the amount I need, tapering to nothing at the side seams ? Is this a swayback adjustment?

I traced the pattern out onto tracing paper for this skirt since I suspect I will make it a few times more - my first TNT ? After the holiday trip, I now have lots of skirt fabric to use up.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Claire

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. It is kind of cool to get birthday greetings from Alaska and Canada.

    How is your sleeves coming on?

    I am not sure I can help you with the skirt - I think it is difficult to fit based on pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gry - yes, this talking around the world IS cool. I had a break while we were on vacation and traveled with library books, believe it or not !

    I think I'm going to give up on trying to fit the sleeve from the McCalls pattern and instead try to change the Vogue pattern to a 2-piece with the latest instructions.

    I will start to do this tonight so maybe I'll be able to have it done and sewn in by the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire - I'll look at my Nancy Zieman's fitting finess for how to do a swayback adjustment on a skirt. I should do it more often. But essentially, yes, you need to get rid of fabric at the center back, tapering to nothing at the side seam. Then I use the facing (I tend to use faced skirts) pattern as originally done. Hope that makes sense. g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gaylen, I started another skirt and before I did, I checked my books...I found the swayback adjustment in Fitting Finesse as a Horizontal Fold Wrinkle problem. I took my CB down 1/2" and am keeping my fingers crossed. Am attempting lining on this one too. Man, that is some slippery stuff !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me - I love comments !