Thursday, December 8, 2011

The final countdown

so. Where was I ? Ah, more getting ready for Christmas Dinner. Saturday's the big day - and I'm down to the last few hours of prep.

Sunday, I made the ice cream - french vanilla and eggnog. No pics of the final products but DH was ready with the camera while I was making them and not paying any attention to him !


Monday and Tuesday - more cookies:

Some regular green tree spritz for the regular gift boxes and another full batch of spritz along with another batch of ribbon cookies made with Splenda for a friend who's watching his sugar. I was prepared for a difference in taste and/or texture but these are soooo close to 'normal' that I'm pretty impressed.

Tonight I made the cheesecakes - plain New York style (will make a strawberry sauce to go on top) and a chocolate-vanilla swirl (my swirling needs work LOL)


Cranberry sauce is made, the turkey will be thawed on time and a bunch of chopping is already done for the stuffing. Saturday morning I should be able to have the bird in the oven by 8am or so.

Tomorrow, there is still the almond cake, lemom pudding and a couple of pies to make.

We'll be ready - we always are. It's been crazy busy but it's always worth it.


Parting Shot:

We needed a new tree this year and found a good buy on a 9ft pre-lit one. My brother spent the day with us last Saturday and he decorated it while I puttered in the kitchen.



2 comments:

  1. So - why so early for the holiday celebration? I missed that. Your cookies look lovely and I think the swirl on your cheesecake is beautiful. Will you share your ice cream recipe? I just got a KA for my birthday and I'm dying to make my own ice cream. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas comes early in your house! Did you use my eggnog ice cream recipe? That was splendid. Try the candy cane ice cream while you're at it (after the feast, so you don't have to share). Definitely worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me - I love comments !