Thursday, December 4, 2008

More Baking

1 more batch of cookies done, that is, if you consider 16 dozen 1 batch, LOL ... Spritz won out since they are the quickest to do, especially on a weekday evening. I made these Tuesday evening.

1st tray just going into the oven:


All done and cooling.


Now this year, after making the same mistake 2 years in a row, I wrote the 'correct' baking time on my recipe. It say 10-12 minutes at 375° - well that amount of time produces the dark cookies you see at the top right corner of the 2nd picture ! Spritz cookies are NOT supposed to be dark - although they taste just fine - trust me ! LOL

In my oven, 8 minutes produces the desired result, next year I won't mess up the first tray.


Spritz Cookies

2 cups butter (MUST use butter !)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 tsp almond extract)
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Method:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Refrigerate UNGREASED cookie sheets until ready to use.
Note - pressing the dough out onto cool, ungreased sheets makes it possible for each application to stick on contact.

In a large bowl, mix butter until creamy.
Gradually add sugar; cream until light and fluffy.
Add egg and beat well.
Stir in vanilla extract.
Gradually add flour to mixture beating well after each addition.

If the dough is too soft to go thru the cookie press cleanly, chill the dough for 15 minutes or so.
If the dough is too firm, add 1 or 2 tsp of milk.

Pack the dough into up your cookie press fitted with your desired shape. Press cookies onto ungreased baking sheets about 1-inch apart.

Bake at 375° F, 10-12 minutes

Let cool on the sheet for a couple of minutes and use a very thin spatula to remove them to the cooling racks- they're quite fragile and will break easily !

Makes approximately 6 dozen.

3 comments:

  1. Are you freezing all of these? And would you like to come to my house to play cookie bakery with me? We're just down the highway a few hours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep freezing 'em all - except the ones that are a little dark, or a little odd shaped, or.... LOL ! There are a few of every batch that give DH a tease of what's coming but if I don't freeze them, we'll eat them (I'm ok all year, but I have NO willpower with Christmas cookies !)

    I'd LOVE to come play bakery with you, it's always more fun with company and you have kids at your place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good. I haven't started my baking yet nor have I been sewing :{

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me - I love comments !